Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Like the Most Roller Coaster-y Book to ever Roller Coaster

The Memory Weaver

Jane Kirkpatrick

     Eliza Spalding Warren was just a child when she was taken hostage by the Cayuse Indians during a massacre in 1847. Now a mother of two, Eliza faces a new kind of dislocation; her impulsive husband wants to make a new start in another territory, which will mean leaving her beloved home and her mother's grave--and returning to the land of her captivity. 


     Haunted by memories and hounded by struggle, Eliza longs to know how her mother dealt with the trauma of their ordeal. As she searches the pages of her mother's diary, Eliza is stunned to find that her own recollections tell only part of the story.

     
     The Memory Weaver is based heavily on a true story. The story that this book captures is beautiful and less detailed and a heck of a lot longer than this book. This book is so beautiful. 

     I find that in most books what is happening is very clear, people talk their actions through logically and are grounded. I know that most people, including my roommate, would look at me like I was crazy and be like "No not all characters are logical" but they are compared to the rationalizations in this book where there aren't any. The characters, the people, are unabashedly themselves. They don't try to rationalize their behavior or pretend that everything on the journey is going to turn out OK. They are damaged and beautiful and I love them. 

     They were so broken and beautiful that I just wanted to give up on them and the journey that they went on. I am so glad I didn't, because staying out until the end was what gave me the time to appreciate the art that was right in front of my face. Jane Kirkpatrick is a master, and this her greatest gift. 

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.