Monday, May 4, 2015

Dark but Delicious

The Salt Covenants
Sylvia Bambola

Spain 1493: Isabel has broken her mother's heart by becoming a sincere convert to Christianity. But when she is noticed by Friar Alonso at La Casa Santa, the Holy House, she is forced to flee the Inquisition by entering into a loveless marriage and sailing with Christopher Columbus on his second voyage to the New World. But all too soon Isabel is forced to struggle alone in her new life and new faith. 

Little publishing companies are adorable. The Salt  Covenants  was published by Heritage Books. It was a fantastic discovery. You can almost always tell which books were published by these houses because they look different. The covers have a different shine about them (and generally there is something vaguely odd about the cover art), the book is sized differently from your average book, the paper is a different color, and the font is always slightly different. (You can tell you are a bibliophile when you can tell a publishing house by their font, crazy right?) The problem with little publishing companies is that it is hard to know their reputation, with big houses like Baker Publishing you can pretty much guarantee quality. I can totally guarantee the quality of this book. It is AMAZING!

The Salt Covenants  is set during the Spanish Inquisition. I don't know about you, but we didn't exactly spend much time covering it in school. If I wanted to know anything but the basics I had to go looking for it myself. I think that subconsciously I knew it would be ugly (and the reason I didn't go looking), and this book delivered on that ugliness without being too blunt and harsh about it. I got chills from the situations they were stuck in, but I didn't have nightmares or anything  that really stuck with me. It was very tasteful.

The book took several twists and turns that I really wasn't expecting, and I loved it. I liked that I could see some general things coming towards me, but the real important and defining things were a surprise. This book was amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm not going to tell you what the title alludes to - but it is really cool!


I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. You totally need to read this book, so make a little room on your TBR list, and click on the cover to get started reading an excerpt. Enjoy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.