Saturday, May 2, 2015

An Uncivil War

Yankee in Atlanta
Jocelyn Green
Heroines Behind the Lines #3


When soldier Caitlin McKae woke up in Atlanta after being wounded in battle, the Georgian doctor who treated her believed Caitlin's only secret was that she had been fighting for the Confederacy disguised as a man. In order to avoid arrest or worse, Caitlin hides her true identity and makes a new life for herself in Atlanta.

Trained as a teacher, she accepts a job as a governess to the daughter of Noah Becker, a German immigrant lawyer, who is about to enlist with the Rebel army. Then in the spring of 1864, Sherman's troops edge closer to Atlanta. Caitlin tries to escape north with the girl, but is arrested on charges of being a spy. Will honor dictate that Caitlin follow the rules, or love demand that she break them?

Caitlin
  The Civil War ranks much lower on the scale of wars that we have experienced in the last three hundred years than some of the others, but it still leaves this imprint on our minds. Jocelyn Green draws us in with empathetic characters and horrible circumstances. (This is my professional literary review quote - what do you think?)

I really liked it. I don’t particularly like reading book set in a war zone, and when I do I tend to gravitate towards the Second World War (I stay as far away as I can from the First World War- guaranteed tears). But this book illuminated so much of the surrounding circumstances. It was a goldmine for facts I didn’t know;  while I wouldn’t go looking for some nonfiction about the subject I plan on picking up the other books in the series.

Speaking of the series, they are completely stand alone. Read one, read them all, read them backwards, read them diagonally- it doesn’t really matter. My favorite kind of series.

The characters backgrounds were really interesting, and it made me reconsider some pre established assumptions I had made about immigrants. Not all Germans
Noah
decided to go North (as is the case of our male lead, Noah Becker).

The book, like most was fairly predictable in the larger viewing of the ending, but it did bring up some interesting twists that were both delightful and left a bad taste in my mouth. Certainly a reread.

Ooh! I almost forgot - Our dashing German hero is not a Yankee. He is in the Confederate army! (Practically contrary to everything he believes). What about divorce? And my favorite, a little seedtime and harvest time.

SALE: Ending tomorrow (May 3) all the books in this series are below $3.50! Check out the e-books at any major retailer including Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and CBD!!

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. Enjoy reading and don’t forget to click on the cover to read an excerpt!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.