Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Shakespeare for the Dutch

Becoming Bea

Leslie Gould

The Courtships of Lancaster County

Can Bea and Ben Turn Rivalry Into Romance? 
Beatrice Zook knows God wants her to learn patience toward others. When assisting a family overwhelmed by triplets proves surprisingly successful, her confidence in dealing with others, both young and old, grows. 

One person she'll never be able to find peace with though is Ben Rupp. They've known each other forever, and Ben understands precisely how to antagonize her. What neither she nor Ben will admit is that beneath all their bickering, attraction awaits. When friends decide to try and bring the couple together, will the pair be able to find true love? Or will they damage their relationship beyond repair?

Free Amazon Ebook
     Becoming Bea is the fourth book in a series that smooshes together Shakespeare and Amish fiction. I read the first book in the series, Courting Cate, which I really enjoyed by the way, and so when I heard about Becoming Bea I was willing to give it a try. Courting Cate is free as an ebook right now. The amazon link is in the caption. 

      I don't particularly enjoy Shakespeare, the antiquated language while beautiful and complicated isn't really suited for everyday consumption. Much Ado About Nothing, the play Becoming Bea incorporates, is a comedy and one of the ones I enjoy. I do however really enjoy the way that Leslie Gould manages to incorporate the classic tales presented in the Shakespeare plays, but in a everyday, binge-able, and delicious format. I really enjoyed being able to recognize the classic Shakespeare touches. 

    I was hesitant to read the two middle books, Adoring Addie (Romeo and Juliet) and Minding Molly (A Midsummer's Night Dream), but I had no problem really getting into Becoming Bea. One of the touches I loved about it was the one up-ing that Bea and Ben got into. In the play it is more a match of wits, in the book spelling. Amish kids tend to go to school only through the eight grade, so learning for those who enjoy it is a special time. The spelling competition carried through the book spelling big words out like: S-H-A-K-E-S-P-E-A-R-E, and I loved it. 

Enjoy reading!. I was given a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my complete and honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.