Monday, October 13, 2014

Let's Talk Pseudonyms

Annie's Stories

Cindy Thompson

Book 2 in Ellis Island Series


The year is 1901, the literary sensation The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is taking New York City by storm, and everyone wonders where the next great book will come from. But to Annie Gallagher, stories are more than entertainment—they’re a sweet reminder of her storyteller father. After his death, Annie fled Ireland for the land of dreams, finding work at Hawkins House.

But when a fellow boarder with something to hide is accused of misconduct and authorities threaten to shut down the boardinghouse, Annie fears she may lose her new friends, her housekeeping job . . . and her means of funding her dream: a memorial library to honor her father. Furthermore, the friendly postman shows a little too much interest in Annie—and in her father’s unpublished stories. In fact, he suspects these tales may hold a grand secret.

Though the postman’s intentions seem pure, Annie wants to share her father’s stories on her own terms. Determined to prove herself, Annie must forge her own path to aid her friend and create the future she’s always envisioned . . . where dreams really do come true.


     Annie's Stories is a cute sequel to the first book in the series Grace's Pictures. I honestly did not know that they were part of a series. Imagine my surprise when I watched the Youtube video and found that they were linked. I think it is important to know that books are in a series. I recently just finished the rest of the Giver Quartet (who knew there were four?) and I find it particularly bothersome. Here is a picture of the first book. It was really cute and pretty similar to the second one. I recommend both, but you wouldn't have to necessarily read them in order. 

     So the book deals with both Annie's and Stephen's (the postman) perspectives and I found it hard to really invest myself because both characters wanted totally different things. I was really torn and frustrated with it that I couldn't empathize. I also found that that added a touch of unreal surrealism that made it seem a bit unrealistic.  I did enjoy idea about Annie's father and his stories, although I found a few parts of it confusing. If you are willing to overlook the confusing bits, the story is pretty cute. I also liked the historical accuracy, it added a sense of reality that the romance overlooked. 



   
      I found this video by the author going over the novel. I thought it was pretty cool. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my honest review. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.