Monday, June 30, 2014

The Life of a Wife of a Crook

A Woman of Fortune

Kellie Coates Gilbert

Texas Gold #1

     Texas socialite Claire Massey is living the dream. Her world is filled with designer clothes, luxury cars, and stunning homes. But her Neiman-Marcus lifestyle comes crashing down when her charming cattle broker husband is arrested for fraud. Suddenly, she finds herself facing attorneys, a media frenzy, and a trail of broken hearts. Betrayed and humiliated, Claire must start over against incredible odds to save her family–and discover a life worth living.
     Poignant and emotionally gripping, A Woman of Fortune reveals the many ways we deceive ourselves and how resilience of the heart is essential to authentic living. Drawing on her experiences as a legal investigator, author Kellie Coates Gilbert delivers emotionally gripping plots and authentic characters. Readers will love Claire’s unbending determination as she strives to keep her family from falling apart and learns to embrace the kind of fortune that lasts.

     As the first book in the Texas Gold series, I picked this book up from a completely new author and began a different sort of journey. Most of the stories I read are about young love. Rarely do I ever read a book where the main focus is on characters who are firmly established in the way of life because that is the way they have done it for twenty or thirty years. I know that if more books of this type and this caliber pass by my bookshelf I will be sure to invite them to stay a while.

     The subject matter of the book is for me relatable only through other readings and the television (Specifically a show called Leverage-although they would be the ones working to take down said husband). Anyway, apparently it is based off of an actual man who committed mass fraud. I wasn't conscious of major events like that at the time so it has no effect on my memory. I also have never had someone close to me lose their savings in someone else's Ponzi scheme. My closest encounter stems from The Nanny. So I feel like this book might be a bit touchy for those people who are actually reaped the consequences of a bad investment, but I couldn't say for sure.

     Aside from that, it was a well written very logical book. The emotions in the book were so realistic, and the logic behind the actions,  while not necessarily logic I would hold to, keeps in touch with who the characters are. It focuses on not only Claire's problems in dealing with this kind of corruption in the household, but also with her young daughter who particularly has trouble with the situation. It does touch on the other family member's problems with the revelation that the patriarch is a crook, but the daughter does get her own chapter. A Woman of Fortune is certainly worth at minimum a check out from the library to see if this book is your cup of tea.

I am very pleased to have come into contact with this book. I received a copy of it from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! I really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genuine WithdrawalJuly 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

    I know! I think the cover advertises the book so well, even if the family isn't involved with the ranch for the majority of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.