Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Hint of Moroccan Mint Tea

A Table by the Window

Chapter 1

Hillary Manton Lodge 


Heirloom recipes, family secrets…and a chance for love 
 
The youngest heir to a French-Italian restaurant dynasty, food writer Juliette D’Alisa has spent her life negotiating her skill with words and her restaurant aspirations. When her brother Nico offers her a chance to open a restaurant together, she feels torn—does she really have what it takes? Should she risk leaving her journalism career?
 
After the death of her grandmother, Juliette discovers an antique photograph of a man who looks strikingly like her brother. As the truth behind the picture reveals romance and dark secrets, Juliette struggles to keep the mystery away from her nosy family until she can uncover the whole story. 
 

Inspired by her grandmother’s evolving story, Juliette resolves to explore the world of online dating. To her surprise, she finds a kindred spirit in Neil McLaren, a handsome immunologist based in Memphis, Tennessee. With a long-distance relationship simmering, Juliette faces life-shifting decisions. How can she possibly choose between a promising culinary life and Neil, a man a world away in more ways than one? And is it possible her Grandmother’s story can help show the way?

     Recently I find that every book that comes into my mailbox is historical fiction. Which I find very wonderful, but this was a refreshing alternative. I sat down at my desk and read it from cover to cover, I laughed and I cried, and it was wonderful. The whole book was about food with every chapter beginning with a quote about food and ending with a recipe that goes over a food that was mentioned in the chapter. The recipes appear to be easy to make, which made me sad because Juliette made pasta from scratch and there was no recipe for that. That was easily the worst part of the book. 

     I really loved this book, something about the simplicity and elegance of the story just caught my attention. The whole family of characters in the book was beautiful. One of my friends is Italian and her family is so loud and happy and I got to feel that feeling of being a part of that kind of atmosphere. It is a very addictive feeling. Also, the characters are restaurant people and that was really interesting too. Fantastic. It was refreshing and inspired this warm cozy feeling that reminded me of reading on a cabin porch during the start of fall. At the very least, the sneak peak (the link is in the caption) is definitely worth a look.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book! Funny story - I made pasta for the first time while I wrote the book, even watched a video of old Italian ladies making orecchiette. The recipe made it into the first draft. But it turned out...chewy. I probably over-kneaded the dough. So hopefully I'll master the process enough to be able to put a pasta recipe into the next book :-)

    Do try the chocolate cake recipe - it's *amazing*. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.