Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Lost State of Franklin

The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn 

Lori Benton

Read Chapter 1

In an act of brave defiance, Tamsen Littlejohn escapes the life her harsh stepfather has forced upon her. Forsaking security and an arranged marriage, she enlists frontiersman Jesse Bird to guide her to the Watauga settlement in western North Carolina. But shedding her old life doesn’t come without cost. As the two cross a vast mountain wilderness, Tamsen faces hardships that test the limits of her faith and endurance.

Convinced that Tamsen has been kidnapped, wealthy suitor Ambrose Kincaid follows after her, in company with her equally determined stepfather. With trouble in pursuit, Tamsen and Jesse find themselves thrust into the conflict of a divided community of Overmountain settlers. The State of Franklin has been declared, but many remain loyal to North Carolina. With one life left behind and chaos on the horizon, Tamsen struggles to adapt to a life for which she was never prepared. But could this challenging frontier life be what her soul has longed for, what God has been leading her toward? As pursuit draws ever nearer, will her faith see her through the greatest danger of all—loving a man who has risked everything for her? 

   Welcome to the proud state of Franklin. Franklin? There certainly is not Franklin State in the United States, but there could have been. Tamsen Littlejohn was wonderful. I personally love the cover, I think she is a perfect representation of the girl I met in the book: well dressed, darker complexion, and all mussed up. I am pretty sure that mussed up describes her state for at least a third of the book. 
   
   The author weaved in the facts and crises of the current era well into the book with things like Franklin, the Indians, slavery, and traveling away from the east. I enjoyed the way the author spun the idea of a run away trying to get married to protect herself, and I thought the way that it worked out was lovely. The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn had me guessing at every turn. I would be positive that I knew what was going to happen next, and i was wrong. I did enjoy the twists and turns, subtle as they were. I didn't really find any of the subject matter off putting except for a brief mention of rape, but other than that there was a good deal of violence. Thankfully there was nothing very graphic. 

   I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and I think it would be a good book for more mature historical fiction readers. I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.