Sunday, September 8, 2013

Back to the Past: Reading Novel One

Heartless

     Anne Elisabeth Stengl


The Dragon King Seeks His Princess



Princess Una of Parumvir has come of age and will soon marry. She dreams of a charming prince, but when her first suitor arrives, he's not what she'd hoped. Prince Aethelbald of mysterious Farthestshore has travelled a great distance to prove his love--and also to bring hushed warnings of danger. A dragon is rumored to be on the hunt and blazing a path of terror.

Una, smitten instead with a more dashing prince, refuses Aethelbald's offer--and ignores his cautions with dire consequences. Soon the Dragon King himself is in Parumvir and Una, in giving her heart away unwisely, finds herself in his sights. Only those courageous enough to risk everything have a hope of fighting off this advancing evil.


     Heartless was great! I have to be absolutely honest, I read Dragonwitch (the fifth book) first. When I told my friends, they about tore me to pieces. Reading in order, so last century. Anyway, I loved Dragonwitch so much, that I had to go back and read the rest of the Goldstone Woods series.

     I am happy to say I wasn't disappointed. The format was still a little odd, with unknown slightly menacing characters having their time in italics once every chapter or so. Creepy. I still haven't figured out who they are or what roles the play, and I probably won't stop reading until I get there.

     When I heard the story was Christian Fiction, I didn't get it. It was by a well respected Christian publishing house, but I didn't understand how it ties in. So I went a looking on the internet, and found that it was supposed to be allegory. A lot of the reviews were angry, because they thought it was forced, and that it didn't flow right. Meanwhile, here I'm sitting and it isn't obvious to me. I finally get it while talking to my dad at the grocery store. I explain what is going on and he points out that sometimes allegory is split into two different people. This gets me thinking, maybe it is more than one person. When I finally got it a half an hour later, I realize that the people are merely mist in comparison to who they are supposed to allude to. I liked that. I could finally see the symbolism. It isn't overly obvious, but personally I don't think that that effects the story in any way. It just added another layer to think about. This book has plenty of layers. I have never had to do so much thinking since I read Sense and Sensibility and finally had to look it up.

     Great read, definitely recommend it. If you like fantasy, romance, or interesting twisting plot lines than this is probably a good choice for you. Heartless  has a blog: http://heartlessnovel.blogspot.com/. If you like this book it has a lot of interesting information about the book. In fact, I found the following on it.

     These are some covers that could have been:
Aren't they super cool?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.