Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Almost Foster House

What Once Was Lost

     Kim Vogel Sawyer


A woman meant to serve, a child in the dark, a man standing apart—can these three souls
embrace a God with new plans for them?

On a small Kansas farm, Christina Willems lovingly shepherds a group of poor and displaced individuals who count on her leadership and have come to see the Brambleville Asylum for the Poor as their home. But when a fire breaks out in the kitchen leaving the house inhabitable, she must scramble to find shelter for all in her care, scattering her dear “family.”

With no other options, Christina is forced to approach Levi Jonnson, a reclusive mill owner, to take in a young blind boy named Tommy Kilgore. Levi agrees with reluctance but finds himself surprised by the bond that quickly grows between him and Tommy. As obstacles to repairing the farm pile up against Christina, she begins to question her leadership ability and wonders if she can fulfill the mission to which she's dedicated her life. And when an old adversary challenges Christina, will she find an unlikely ally—or more—in the aloof Levi? Can Levi reconcile with the rejection that led to his hermit-like existence and open his heart and life to something more, especially a relationship with a loving God?


     Let me tell you something, I love getting books in the mail. I'm a little old fashioned, and anything that comes through the mailbox has me smiling. But getting books, those I dance for. Right out in the middle of the street when I see them. I just cannot help it. With that  being said, seeing books with a Advance Reading Copy sticker just make me giggle. I love it. What Once Was Lost is one of those books. For right now at least.

     I was really excited to read this book, the romance seemed pretty clear on the back cover and I practically quaked with what I thought I knew. Let me tell you, I was wrong. Wrong. I went into this book with what I thought was right, and every few chapters I was surprised. I could see many of the smaller plot twists a couple of chapters ahead. Some managed to surprise me, and the main point is that the big one did. I have never really put much stock into knowing what happens and that ruining the book. I don't care.

     This book made me think about what happened to the poor and homeless in the nineteenth century. It definitely shed some light on the situation. I liked that. I also enjoyed that the book explored the after shocks for the residents of the Asylum. It didn't go in to far, which had its ups and downs. I liked the little foray.

     The book was based on a lot of past burdens. In some of the books I read, they flashback. I don't particularly like the lengthy flashbacks (and so I skim), but this was better. Not much better. I would have liked a little more information. The back stories were so complex on first look that I wanted so much more. They were more like reminiscences of the main characters than a true back story. I hadn't seen this style before and I thought it was interesting.

   Overall I thought the book was worthwhile.  I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

     If you are really interested in this book (maybe once you've read it) I've included a link to the publisher's website that include an interview with the author and other things if you're so inclined.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting. I cannot wait to see what you have to say.